Welcome to my blog. This blog is simply talking about my knitting and spinning adventures. I will talk about different yarns and fibers I have used and review patterns. Please don't forget to subscribe to my blog, it's greatly appreciated.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Hi my name is Courtney and I am addicted to KALs

Hi again,
what did I do this week? I fought a nasty stomach bug, which today I finally feel almost back to normal. Yesterday me and my fiance looked at a wedding venue and we will be able to book our date in two weeks. We are trying to reserve June 1st, 2013 wish us luck. It is a gorgeous outside garden themed venue that looks like it came straight out of a fairytale. Also, that was our official first step to planning our wedding, which was very exciting. I also went a little insane last night, because I decided to take pictures of my "good" yarn stash and post it to my ravelry page, took me all night. I consider having a "bad" yarn stash and a "good" yarn stash. My "bad" yarn stash yarn is the yarn I bought when I first started knitting, such as red heart, caron, lion brand. My "good" yarn stash is yarn I have purchased at the LYS or online. The "bad" is not all bad I do like lion brand and patons.
Before I go straight into my usual agenda, as promised here are better pictures of my finished daybreak shawl.
On the Needles:
I can't believe I casted on another project and yes it's a KAL, as the title says I am addicted to them. I just can't say no.
Steven from the Dramatic Knits podcast announced the KAL yesterday and at first I was thinking that no I can't cast something else on, but then he showed the prize and everything changed. Also, I had the perfect yarn in my stash to get started right away.
The KAL is the Pedestrian Crossing Cowl by Melissa Sibley, I am using Universal Yarn Patchwork in the Purple Mountains colorway and size 8 needles. For being 100% acrylic yarn this yarn is extremely soft and definitely so far the best acrylic yarn I have ever used.
The next project are my Harvest Dew Socks, which I apparently am really taking my time with. I did finish the heel and am still decreasing the gusset.
Surprise the next project is a KAL. Its my Through the loops mystery shawl by Kirsten Kapur. I am still on track and finished the 3rd clue.
My triangle shawl actually got some love this week, I decided to knit on it every sunday during true blood. It is garter and I don't have to look down so perfect tv knitting. I won't post a picture since you can barely see the progress.
I am still knitting two secret knitting projects, that unfortunately I can't show for a very long time.

Off the Needles:
Nothing :( I hope that the Cowl KAL will be done next week.

Soon to be on the Needles:
You might be thinking "didn't she say she is addicted to KALs, but there are only 2 on the needles." Here is where the madness begins. You already know about the Kirsten Kapur mystery KAL and Dramatic Knits Cowl KAL. I also already talked about Wendy Johnson's Mystery KAL that starts next week.
Remeber all the washcloths I knitted for the baby shower? They were also part of Knitabulls May/June KAL. Well July 1st the next KAL starts, the requirement is to use a certain yarn. Me and my friend Pam are knitting with the same yarn the same thing. The yarn is from GnomeAcres on etsy in fingering weight in the Knitabulls Franklin colorway. We will be knitting TGV (high speed knitting) by Susan Ashcroft.
 Then the next KAL is the 2nd month of Camp Loopy starts on June 27th. I will be knitting Westwood Blouse in Kollage Yarns Riveting in the Lava Denim colorway. I have not received my yarn yet so I don't have a picture yet.
Also I joined Knitabulls Tour de Fleece team. My goal for that is to spin everyday for at least 15 minutes and that lasts from 06/30 - 07/22. Since that isn't enough I also joined her Ravelympics team, for that my goal is to knit as money monster chunks as I can and that lasts from 07/27 - 08/12. So I still have time to worry about that.
In about 2 weeks I will have 5 KAL projects on the needles and spin everyday, well I hope to finish the Cowl by then.

Enabling:
I actually have some enabling, I been ordering things like a mad woman and a lot of the things haven't arrived. I already posted a picture of the GnomeAcres Knitabulls Franklin yarn, for the KAL she also had for the Knitting in Circles Podcast Froggy Monkey. I purchased the fingering weight one, I will not be using that for the KAL though.
 The next thing I received was the ravelry bag, they had a contest for people to submit designs for their 5 year anniversary and for reaching 2 million people. It actually is not the design I voted for, but I really like it.

Review:
This week I have a magazine review. You might have already seen it being reviewed. However, I wanted to give my opinion. It is the Knitscene special edition accessories magazine. First off I really love knitscene, since they do target my age group, however as Lesley from the knit girllls said they went a little overboard this issue. They split the magazine into sections and the "out of orbit" section really is something from a different world that should of stayed away from earth. Apparently aliens do the robot too. Anyway, the first pattern I like is the Check slouch. I love slouchys and I love plaid, so why wouldn't like it, right?  The second pattern I want to knit is Sideways Argyle Beret I would like it to be a little more slouchy, but I love the argyle design. I have never knitted argyle and it's definitely on my must learn list.The beret seems perfect to learn argyle especially since they have an article in the magazine explaining colorwork such as the argyle beret and a cowl. I do enjoy the Lightning Kerchief it is just a simple striped shawlette, I particularly like the wave stripe at the bottom. Another shawl I like is the Aristida Shawl that one is not so typical, I really love the lace diamond pattern and I am not a huge fan of fringe, however with this shawl it looks great. The last thing I like in this magazine is the whole Mini Mitts section. I like them all :)
Overall this magazine was definitely a great buy. They have great patterns and 4 great tutorials. One for the intarsia argyle beret, the stranded colorwork on a cowl, dropped stitches mitts, and entrelac mitts.

This was my first time reviewing anything, if you have any suggestions or recommendations on how to review books or magazines, please leave a comment. Actually even if its about something else then reviews, I would enjoy to receive your feedback. Thank you.

This is it for next week. I hope you will join me again next Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment