Welcome to my blog. This blog is simply talking about my knitting and spinning adventures. I will talk about different yarns and fibers I have used and review patterns. Please don't forget to subscribe to my blog, it's greatly appreciated.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Another Knitter who is Destroying the Olympics

I am blogging a few days early just, because this is too upsetting to wait.
As most knitters/crocheters/spinners who have a twitter or/and ravelry account already know, there is this huge thing with the Olympics going on. Yesterday, Casey and Jess, the founders of Ravelry, received an email by a clerk from the US Olympic Committee asking them to change the name of the ravelympics, since they own the trademark Olympics. Ravelympics is a game that has been going on for 3 years, you join a team and cast on your project on the opening ceremony of the Olympics and have to finish it by the closing ceremony day. I, for example, joined my favorite podcaster Diane from Knitabulls for the toy toss category. I challenged myself to knit as many monster chunks as possible in that time frame.
At first I did agree with that letter, it made sense yes they own the trademark and any variation of it. Also, a lot of designers were charging for patterns that included the word olympics. However, I kept reading the letter and I came across this.

"We believe using the name "Ravelympics" for a competition that involves an afghan marathon, scarf hockey and sweater triathlon, among others, tends to denigrate the true nature of the Olympic Games.  In a sense, it is disrespectful to our country's finest athletes and fails to recognize or appreciate their hard work."

Excuse me? I do what now? I am apparently being disrespectful to athletes. Are you kidding me? So, let me get this straight, by wanting to cast on with thousands of other like minded people on the open ceremony date, which actually made me want to watch the open ceremony, I am being disrespectful?! Oh and what about my hard work? Knitters will never think twice to knit for charity or help to raise money for a good cause, but no we are not hard working. Well guess what, I will still cast on on that date, but not watch the opening.
Today, I ran across a blog post by Kay from the Mason Dixon Knitting blog and she asked Stephen Colbert to be so kind and feature "a piece on the Knitters Who Are Destroying the Olympics." In return he would receive a lifetime supply of hand knitted socks.
A copy of the letter that was sent to Casey can be found here.
More information regarding knitting socks for Stephen Colbert, such as shoe size and address, can be found here.

Well thanks for listening to my rant, and lets knit Stephen some socks and help ravelry win this nasty thing. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment